(a saviour), another form of the name of Joshua or Jesus
- Joshua the son of Nun (Nehemiah 8:17) (see Joshua)
- A priest in the reign of David, to whom the ninth course fell by lot (1 Chronicles 24:11)
- One of the Levites in the reign of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 31:15)
- Son of Jehozadak, first high priest after the Babylonish captivity, B.C. 536. Jeshua was probably born in Babylon, whither his father Jehozadak had been taken captive while young (1 Chronicles 6:15, Authorized Version). He came up from Babylon in the first year of Cyrus with Zerubbabel and took a leading part with him in the rebuilding of the temple and the restoration of the Jewish commonwealth. The two prophecies concerning him in Zechariah 3:1 and Zechariah 6:9-15 point him out as an eminent type of Christ.
- Head of a Levitical house, one of those which returned from the Babylonish captivity (Ezra 2:40; 3:9; Nehemiah 3:19; 8:7; 9:4-5; 12:8, etc.)
- A branch of the family of Pahath-moab, one of the chief families, probably, of the tribe of Judah (Nehemiah 7:11, etc.; 10:14; Ezra 10:30)