A town on the east side of Jordan, in the rich pastoral country, which was taken possession of and rebuilt by the children of Gad (Numbers 32:3, 34). From this circumstance it possibly received the name of Dibon-gad (Numbers 33:45-46). Its first mention is in (Numbers 21:30), and from this it appears to have belonged originally to the Moabites. We find Dibon counted to Reuben in the lists of Joshua (Joshua 13:9, 17). In the time of Isaiah and Jeremiah, however, it was again in possession of Moab (Isaiah 15:2; Jeremiah 48:18, 22, comp. Jeremiah 48:24). In modern times the name Dhiban has been discovered as attached to extensive ruins on the Roman road, about three miles north of the Arnon (Wady Modjeb).
One of the towns which were reinhabited by the men of Judah after the return from captivity (Nehemiah 11:25), identical with Dimonah.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)
Copyright 2021 Bible Central, a project of Book of Mormon Central. All rights reserved. Registered 501(c)(3). EIN: 20-5294264