One of the two capital cities of Bashan, in the territory of Manasseh east of the Jordan (Numbers 21:33; Deuteronomy 1:4; 3:10; Joshua 12:4). In scripture it is only mentioned in connection with the victory gained by the Israelites over the Amorites under Og their king, and the territory thus acquired. The ruins of this ancient city, still bearing the name Edr’a, stand on a rocky promontory which projects from the southwest corner of the Lejah. The ruins are nearly three miles in circumference, and have a strange, wild look, rising up in dark, shattered masses from the midst of a wilderness of black rocks.
A town of northern Palestine allotted to the tribe of Naphtali and situated near Kedesh (Joshua 19:37). About two miles south of Kedesh is a conical rocky hill called Tell Khuraibeh, the “tell of the ruin,” which may be the site of Edrei.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)
Copyright 2021 Bible Central, a project of Book of Mormon Central. All rights reserved. Registered 501(c)(3). EIN: 20-5294264