One of the points on the northern boundary of Judah, not quite at the sea, though near it (Joshua 15:11). There is no sign, however, of its ever having been occupied by Judah. Josephus attributes it to the Danites. There was a constant struggle going on between that tribe and the Philistines for the possession of all the places in the lowland plains, and it is not surprising that the next time we meet with Jabneel it should be in the hands of the latter (2 Chronicles 26:6). Uzziah dispossessed them of it and demolished its fortifications. Called also Jabneh. At the time of the fall of Jerusalem, Jabneh was one of the most populous places of Judea. The modern village of Yebna, more accurately Ibna, stands about two miles from the sea, on a slight eminence just south of the Nahr Rubin.
One of the landmarks on the boundary of Naphtali (Joshua 19:33) in upper Galilee.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)
Copyright 2021 Bible Central, a project of Book of Mormon Central. All rights reserved. Registered 501(c)(3). EIN: 20-5294264