(the city of forests), first mentioned as one of the four cities of the Gibeonites (Joshua 9:17), it next occurs as one of the landmarks of the northern boundary of Judah (Joshua 15:9) and as the point at which the western and southern boundaries of Benjamin coincided (Joshua 18:14-15), and in the last two passages we find that it bore another, perhaps earlier, name—that of the great Canaanite deity Baal, namely Baalah and Kirjath-baal. At this place the ark remained for twenty years (1 Samuel 7:2). At the close of that time Kirjath-jearim lost its sacred treasure, on its removal by David to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite (1 Chronicles 13:5-6; 2 Chronicles 1:4; 2 Samuel 6:11-12, etc.). To Eusebius and Jerome it appears to have been well known. They describe it as a village at the ninth mile between Jerusalem and Diospolis (Lydda). These requirements are exactly fulfilled in the small modern village of Kuriet-el-Enab—now usually known as Abu Gosh, from the robber chief whose headquarters it was—on the road from Jaffa and Jerusalem.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)