(water of rest), a town on the eastern side of Jordan, first alluded to in Numbers 21:30. Here it seems to denote the limit of the territory of Heshbon. It next occurs in the enumeration of the country divided among the transjordanic tribes (Joshua 13:9), as giving its name to a district of level downs called “the Mishor of Medeba” or “the Mishor on Medeba.” At the time of the conquest Medeba belonged to the Amorites, apparently one of the towns taken from Moab by them. In the time of Ahaz Medeba was a sanctuary of Moab (Isaiah 15:2). It has retained its name down to our own times, and lies four miles southeast of Heshbon, on its rounded but rocky hill.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)