(a rampart, mound) a place in ancient Jerusalem. Both name and place seem to have been already in existence when the city was taken from the Jebusites by David (2 Samuel 5:9; 1 Chronicles 11:8). Its repair or restoration was one of the great works for which Solomon raised his “levy” (1 Kings 9:15, 24; 11:27), and it formed a prominent part of the fortifications by which Hezekiah prepared for the approach of the Assyrians (2 Chronicles 32:5). The last passage seems to show that “the Milo” was part of the “city of David,” that is, of Zion (comp. 2 Kings 12:20).
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)