An ancient town, first heard of in the account of the homeward journey of Jacob from Padan-aram (Genesis 33:17). The name is derived from the fact of Jacob’s having there put up “booths” (succoth) for his cattle as well as a house for himself. From the itinerary of Jacob’s return it seems that Succoth lay between Peniel, near the ford of the torrent Jabbok and Shechem (comp. Genesis 32:30 and Genesis 33:18). In accordance with this is the mention of Succoth in the narrative of Gideon’s pursuit of Zebah and Zalluunna (Judges 8:8-17). It would appear from this passage that it lay east of the Jordan, which is corroborated by the fact that it was allotted to the tribe of Gad (Joshua 13:27). Succoth is named once again after this—in 1 Kings 7:46 and 2 Chronicles 4:17—as marking the spot at which the brass foundries were placed for casting the metal work of the temple. (Dr. Merrill identifies it with a site called Tell Darala, one mile north of the Jabbok.—ED.)
The first camping-place of the Israelites when they left Egypt (Exodus 12:37; 13:20; Numbers 33:5-6). This place was apparently reached at the close of the first day’s march. Rameses, the starting-place, was probably near the western end of the Wadi-t-Tumeylat. The distance traversed in each day’s journey was about fifteen miles.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)
Copyright 2021 Bible Central, a project of Book of Mormon Central. All rights reserved. Registered 501(c)(3). EIN: 20-5294264