A place which formed one of the landmarks on the north boundary of the allotment of Judah (Joshua 15:10). It is probably identical with the Thimnathah of (Joshua 19:43) and that again with the Timnath or, more accurately, Timnathah, of Samson (Judges 14:1-2, 5), and the Thamnatha of the Maccabees. The modern representative of all these various forms of the same name is probably Tibneh, a village about two miles west of Ain Shems (Beth-shemesh). In the later history of the Jews, Timnah must have been a conspicuous place. It was fortified by Bacchides as one of the most important military posts of Judea (1 Macc. 9:50).
A town in the mountain district of Judah (Joshua 15:57), a distinct place from that just examined.
Inaccurately written Timnath in the Authorized Version, the scene of the adventure of Judah with his daughter in-law Tamar (Genesis 38:12-14). There is nothing here to indicate its position. It may be identified either with the Timnah in the mountains of Judah or with the Timnathath of Samson.
Smith's Bible Names Dictionary (1866)
Copyright 2021 Bible Central, a project of Book of Mormon Central. All rights reserved. Registered 501(c)(3). EIN: 20-5294264